Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What I have Learned from Being Single

I always complain about being single. Yeah, I know, I'm such a complainer. You know, sitting by watching my friends fall in love, get married and have kids it just sucks sometimes.  I made myself really think about it though and I have decided, all my years of singleness have actually been a good thing.  I have done a lot that I could have never done if I was tied down with a boyfriend.

The most important thing is I found myself. I figured out who I was and what I wanted in life without the interruption of some part-time relationship.  I didn't figure out who I was with someone and then my world come crashing down when I was dumped. I didn't have to decide if I liked something because of the guy I was with or if I really did like it. It was all me.  Yeah, I had moments where I liked things to impress a guy but I soon smacked myself back to reality.

Another thing, I didn't have my heart broken into a million pieces. Okay, so when I was turned down by yet another crush I was a little hurt. I was crushed...which is why they call them crushes! I bounced back though.  I would find a new guy to crush on and day dream about.

I was never pressured into sex because some guy told me that he would dump me if I didn't sleep with him.  I don't know what I would have done when I was younger.  I can't say that I would have been level headed and stopped before things went to far. The thing is, someone in a higher place was looking out for me and didn't put me in the situation to worry about it.  I had other things to worry about.

At last, I was always free to hang out with my friends and do things with my family.  Now, I am a strong individual who knows what I want.  I know what I want in a relationship as well as how that fits into my life plans.  The best part is, I didn't have to go through dramatic break ups and abusive boyfriends to figure it out.

I would have to say I am grateful for my many years of the single life. Now, I just have to find a guy that is as well situated in his life, because that's the only way to go.

Much Love,
Heather